Mining and metals, Europe Development of an integrated EHSQ management system
EEM worked with a mining sector client in 2005-06 to develop an integrated management system at a greenfields Aluminum smelter scheduled for start-up in 2007.
Approach and Solution
The system needed to conform to prevailing international standards for environment, health, safety and quality, as well as to corporate operational requirements for quality and finance. The company asked EEM to help design and develop this integrated management system in such that it would be seamlessly integrated into the working processes and procedures of the facility at start-up.
In developing our strategy for the implementation of the integrated management system we:
- Developed a preliminary management system model based on an integrated standard;
- Reviewed the facility’s internal operational processes;
- Performed a gap analysis between these processes and the management system requirements;
- Reviewed and evaluated the IT systems in place to support and enable the integrated management system.
Following this evaluation, EEM developed a plan to implement the integrated management system. The plan had the client implementing the required processes and procedures in cooperation with EEM. We took responsibility for:
- Providing expertise in system development, including: risk assessment, audit planning, training, objective setting, communication planning and incident management;
- Technical support in automating certain workflows;
- Validating the integrated management system for conformance to the relevant standards prior to third-party certification.