Paul MacLean founded EEM in 1993 and the firm is his lifework. In 2018, he has founded EEM Environmental & Social Impact Ltd and as President and majority owner, he is responsible for leading the firm, ensuring the quality and consistency of work and service. As a management consultant he continues to participate in EEM EHS Management mandates, advising clients on a broad range of environmental, health and safety, and community projects.
Over the years Paul has focused on building, retaining and motivating the cross-functional team of EEM consultants and independent associates whose skills and expertise have made the firm so valuable to clients. He has a long history of facilitating win-win-win partnerships between businesses, communities and indigenous peoples.
Paul thinks globally, having directed projects at home in Canada; and in the U.S., Mexico, Venezuela, Iceland, Guinea, Cameroon, Bermuda and Thailand. He has co-authored two books:
- Good to Green – Managing Business Risks and Opportunities in the Age of Environmental Awareness, by John Phyper and Paul MacLean (John Wiley & Sons, 2009).
- Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems Auditing, by Gene Marie Shematek, Paul MacLean and Peter Lineen (LexisNexis Canada, 2016) – The only manual on the subject, first published more than 10 years ago, it is updated annually and used by audit professionals and students.
- Management consulting.
- Building partnerships.
- Environmental compliance auditing.
- Health and safety compliance auditing.
- EHS management system implementation, maintenance, and auditing.
- Regulatory assistance.
- Environmental and social impact assessments (ESIA).
Accreditation and professional development
- EP(CEA) – Environmental Professional (Certified Environmental Auditor) accredited by ECO Canada.
- EP(EMSLA) – Environmental Professional (Environmental Management Systems Lead Auditor) accredited by ECO Canada.
- PBAS – Partnership Brokers Accreditation Scheme.
English, French and Spanish